Friday, March 8, 2013

Mommy Talk

     So today I'm going to be doing a little Q&A. There are a lot of questions out there relating to pregnancy and being a single parent. Today any new mom could look on the internet or download an app, to find information on what to expect. Can we really be completely prepared to handle the responsibility of first time parenting right away? In my opinion: No way! My pregnancy was unplanned, and even though I've done everything possible to learn what I can, I still feel like it won't be enough. So far as I have seen, parenting is something everyone has to learn on the job. I have read blogs and articles about different women (with and without planned pregnancies), and according to most of them they are still learning what to expect! I think the only time we parents can be completely prepared for a new child, is when we already have one that we've been taking care of. So here are the questions I'll be answering today:

1. What does it feel like to be a young, single, expectant mother?
    
     There have been so many emotions I have felt since I found out I was expecting back in December. Name any emotion, and I can tell you that I have most likely felt it. I have my ups and downs, but that's to be expected for any new mother. Being young brings up the subject of maturity. Of course when it comes to parenting, I have no experience what-so-ever (OBVIOUSLY), but that doesn't mean I'm going to be immature about it. So far I have a general idea of what to expect (thanks to the book What to Expect, When You're Expecting), but I feel that I won't start to gain any experience until I actually start doing things with my child once he or she is born. 
     So how do I feel about being single? Honestly? I'm okay with it. Sure there are going to be many people who will judge me for having a child before marriage, but it really is none of their business. Being single makes everything twice as hard, but in the end I'll be a stronger person for working through it. I have my friends and family for moral support, and really that is all I need to work through the tough times that are ahead of me. As for relationships, I plan on staying single for a long time. For me dating is no longer a priority.

2. Are you still working or going to school?
     
     Yes. Yesterday I started my first day as a coffee barista for Starbucks. It may not be the highest paying job in the world, but at least I'll be able to save money while I live with my family. Also Starbucks provides health insurance to it's partners (employees are referred to as partners, isn't that neat?) This is great, because then I can have the baby covered at birth. 
     I am still going to school part-time. I would go full-time, but the stress of full-time school work could be harmful to my pregnancy. I have been able to cope well with my two classes, and believe it or not I have very good grades. I consider myself very lucky to have already graduated high school AND started college before becoming pregnant. It makes me feel sympathetic to those even younger girls who had to drop out of school. Let me tell ya, education truly is key to getting a job, even if it doesn't pay well. 

3. How does your family feel about your pregnancy?
     
     All of my family have been very supportive, especially my mom, who took me back into her home when I had no place else to go. If not for her, I'm sure I would be couch surfing right now. My mom has done everything she can to help me, and it's because of her that I hope to be the best mom I can be for my own child. My brother Eli is thrilled to become an uncle, at least that's what I've gathered since moving back home. Him and I sometimes have our little arguments, but I'm glad to have him at my back. If I have a boy, I will definitely be enlisting Eli's help to teach the little booger how to aim for the toilet. 
     Although they are far away, my family in California is very excited for the new addition. If I am correct, my child will be the first in the next generation of our huge family of Lesley's and :Lazar's. I can't wait to take Monkey (that's the nickname of the baby until I know the gender) to see them. We'll all go to Disneyland and have a blast! I especially want my great grandparents to meet their great-great grandchild. I don't think many people have the opportunity to meet their great-great grandchildren before death, so it will definitely be a special treat for them. 

     I plan to answer more questions in other blogs. These ones I came up with by myself, but if anyone has a question they want me to answer, please feel free to ask, so long as it is appropriate. Feel free to comment below or email me at lazar.shari@gmail.com. Thanks! 


2 comments:

  1. Shari, I love your blog. And the layout is so pretty too. We are very excited for you and your baby. Can't wait to find out if it's a boy or a girl. You are going to make a great mom. I think it's really super smart for you to stay single for a while. Things will be complicated enough without adding romantic drama to the mix. Focusing on your baby will be your priority. I'm so glad you're back home safe with your mom. There's nothing that is more valuable than having your mom there for you once the baby comes. Nothing like a second set of arms to hold him/her or a second set of eyes to watch when he/she starts to get into EVERYTHING as they all eventually do. Your mom will be so wonderful at helping you with that. I will look forward to your blog posts. Keep up the good work of taking care of yourself right now. Love you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auntie! Mom says not to call her grandma, she wants to be called "glamma" instead. Isn't that funny? Though she did slip today when she was rubbing my tummy. She said, "Grandma loves you! Oh crap! I meant glamma!" I will be finding out the sex on Tuesday, so I am very excited! I'll be doing my best to try and post everyday. Love you too!

      Delete